Monday, April 25, 2011

Too late to become a rock star?

Easter Monday, last day of rest and relaxation before going back to work after four long nice days in the sun. One would think that it would be easy to go back after some extra rest, but it isn't. Not at all. So, why is this? I actually consider myself a really lucky guy. I have a good job, I work with Brand Management and Marketing Communications for a large international company, something I actually always wanted to do. So what is the problem then?

The problem? I want to be a rock star! No kidding, I am absolutely serious. Yes, I am in the late 30s and I actually want to be a rock star. Ok, age is against me, and I don't even have a band. What is even worse is that I do not even have an instrument in my house. Maybe that's where I should start.

I actually played a lot of bass and drums in different constellations when I was younger, but the urge of really doing something with it is greater today than it was back then. Am I entering a premature 40-year crisis? Don't think so as I am perfectly happy about all other aspects of my life. Strange...

Anyway, I've wanted to buy drums for a few years now. My wife supports it. She is probably hoping that I will stop playing drums on tables, walls or anything that come in my way. (The accoustics in a bathroom is usually really good for playing drums with your hands on your knees...)

But drums? They are big and loud. Where should I keep them and how can I play them without getting a lot of hate mail and threatening letters from neighbours? No basement in the house, and unfortunately no possibility to soundproof a room right now.

The solution: Digital Drums! Yes, but then again No, or? Before this question is answered I need to inform you all that I am very much into heavy metal. Mostly old school like early Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera and Slayer, but also current stuff like In Flames and Killswitch Engage and so on.

So the situation is as follows: I am in my late 30s, I have a good job, a fantastic family and all that goes with it, and I want to be a rock star, preferrably in a metal band. And I am considering buying Digital Drums. Just does not feel right, does it. Imagine signing up for playing drums in a metal band and I show up at rehersal with short clean cut hair, no tattoos and ask the long haired guys in the band to help me with my digital drums. Wouldn't think so.

What to do, what to do? Are there other slightly older metal-musicians out there needing a drummer and don't mind me playing sissy-ass digital drums? Let me know...

Speak to you soon!
Patrik

No comments:

Post a Comment